Are you a seasoned designer that has a deep understanding of game mechanics and is passionate about the classic management system genre? Have you always wanted to join Paradox Interactive to be a part of an ambitious, system focused team that wants take this genre to the next level, while delivering globally on multiple platforms? Then maybe you are the one we’re looking for!
As Game Director (GD) you will drive the high-level design for our title (within this product category) working as one of the key members in a core team; setting and prioritizing game features together for further implementation. The GD has a key role on our title; being the guardian of the gameplay experience. You will be working closely with our other core members, Project Lead (schedule, budgets, studio concerns) & Technical Lead (system expert, code standards, stability and technical health) to deliver quality product(s)/prototype on time and above expectation.
The GD is also responsible for other gameplay designer(s)/UX on the team, to ensure that the high level vision is always correctly translated and shared in ‘living’ documentation, the game design document (GDD); whether via delegation or self directed targets, GDD ownership belongs to the GD.
The GD is a master communicator, comfortably discussing day to day tasks to core features but also in conveying the vision of the game to the internal team and organization. The GD is also at ease representing the game, externally, to media and partners, handling interviews, talking to fans, participating in live-streams and taking part in other events for the game.
- Drive game vision and high level design of Management System Genre Title(s)
- Planning, Strategy, Quality and Product Life Cycle
- Ownership & Management of the High Level Game Design Documents (GDD)
- Balance/Flag quality vs budget/time and stability concerns together with Project lead & Technical Director
- Communication on all levels (projects to people)
- Coaching and Inspiring other designers to ensure quality & vision
- Play the game regularly and verify that the sprint/milestone matches the vision
- Support the brand team in making decisions on publishing aspects of the game.
- Collaborate with Marketing regularly to set priorities, plan & strategize to exceed product expectations
- Work with core team to set priorities, deadlines, targets, retrospectives
- Participate in agile process building, meetings, giving and receiving feedbacking, and within other related areas
- 5+ years of games industry experience in a lead design, creative director or similar role for management system games; broad expertise & knowledge within the genre required
- You have shipped at least one title while in a leading role
- Relevant educational qualifications (Game Design, Computer Engineering, Product)
- Fluent in English; both written and spoken
- Familiarity with and/or interest in Paradox Development studio games is a plus
On a personal level, we believe you are comfortable in a coaching role and in giving and receiving constructive feedback. You gain energy from seeing the people around you improve and the team succeed together. You are not afraid of conflict or challenges, when you see an issue you are comfortable handling the situation or, by asking for assistance from your peers. We also know you are passionate about videogames and want to contribute to an organization that delivers meaningful experiences to players. You can express your ideas in writing convincingly and you thrive in a fun, agile, creative and team oriented environment.
You will be a part of a new business initiative at Paradox with the goal of continuously building classic products within the management games category.
If you have any public github projects, relevant already released product links or, a personal website/blog, we welcome its inclusion with your personal letter and CV
Scope: Full time and permanent
Reports to: Studio Manager
If you think that this description matches your background, we highly encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will interview candidates continuously for this position. In your application, please show us why your previous experiences and skills would work for this role and why you are interested in working at Paradox. If you don't match all the requirements, please demonstrate how your passion, attitude and interest in Paradox might compensate for this.
Since we strive for a more even gender distribution we highly encourage women to apply to this role.