Paradox Tectonic is looking for a passionate and flexible QA manager to join our small, nimble team of highly experienced senior developers within a mostly flat organizational structure. We are an ideal environment for individuals who are looking for the ability to manage their area of expertise, self-prioritize and collaborate within a small group to develop a new IP with broad appeal. The studio is founded on the principles of empowering experienced developers to set their own project directives, ramp and leverage external partners as needed, and collaborate within a small group so that every team member has a large impact on our games and studio culture. Our ideal candidate must be willing to be hands-on with the game while also experienced with managing external QA resources.
- Coordinate testing efforts for a unique new IP with innovative mechanics for PC and consoles.
- Take responsibility for the relationship with external testing partners to ensure reliability, cost-effectiveness and retention of trained or valued external testers.
- Perform regular hands-on testing and have a strong personal understanding of the areas prone to bugs, while being able to communicate areas of relative stability and weakness to the team.
- Write test plans for major feature areas. This includes collaborating with the design, engineering, art, and production teams to understand the feature specs, even if design documents are not complete.
- Ensure test plans, test cases, test execution, and test reports are delivered in a timely manner.
- Provide feedback on areas of improvement in the game and act as player advocate.
- Understand and identify common play patterns and be able to build test plans around varius player archetypes within an open ended systems driven game.
- Oversee the QA budgeting process in collaboration with Production.
- Work with studio management to ramp eventual QA operations as needed, expanding the scope of external testing to include localization QA, Certification testing, and our parent company’s PC hardware config lab.
- Hire, manage, and mentor in-studio QA testers if necessary to support future studio growth.
- Learn how to use any tools needed to ensure areas of ownership are tested successfully. Examples include Unity, custom tools, game debugging tools, etc.
- You have shipped PC and console game titles.
- You have experience as a Software Test Engineer or in Games QA with test ownership of several major feature areas.
- You have managed at least one permanent, full-time employee or at least 5 contract QA technicians for at least a year.
- You have experience writing test cases for multiple titles.
- You have managed external 3rd party test teams.
- You are good at identifying and balancing priorities to ensure the best return-on-time investment
- You have good communication skills and are comfortable working in a highly-collaborative environment.
Additional Qualifications (Nice to Have)
- You are passionate about unconventional or optimistic games targeted at diverse or female-leaning audiences.
- You’ve shipped a modern Unity title as a Test Lead.
- Familiarity with automation.
Full-time permanent Employee
This role is mostly remote, however you must be able to visit the office in Berkeley California to exchange hardware as needed.
At Paradox Interactive we celebrate difference and care deeply about diversity and inclusion. We therefore encourage you, no matter who you are, to apply for this job if you think you’d be a great addition to our team.