Are you a creative and dedicated games industry professional with experience in design and team management that wants to lead our Design Guild? Are you interested in Paradox Interactive and our grand strategy brands and just itching to help us take them to the next level? Then you may be the one we’re looking for!
As Design Manager at our development studio in Stockholm, you will be functional manager of all gameplay- and UX-designers with the overall responsibility for making sure our project managers have access to the best designer for the game project at hand. Your will not work directly with designing games but rather lead, coach and influence the professions (gameplay- and UX- designers respectively) as well as making sure the rest of the company uses their skills in the best possible way.
Gameplay-designers implement the vision set by the Game director, breaking down high-level systems into features and variables for programmers and content designers to implement.
UX-designers help build a gaming experience that is easy to get into without sacrificing deep and complex gameplay.
- Set up and implement skill development plans for the Design team (Gameplay- and UX-designers)
- Assign Designers to Projects based on requirements from Game directors
- Work towards making sure the company uses the skills of the design guild in the best possible way and that the team has the proper support
- Manage the process of hiring new gameplay and UX-designers
- Gather information from Project Leads and continuously evaluate and give feedback to designers
- Assume Personnel Responsibility, handling employee issues affecting the work of employees ensuring a good work environment and that legal requirements are met
- Occasionally, and as time permits, assist in design to solve specific game design or UX tasks
- Very strong written English and Strong Spoken English
- At least 5 years of games industry experience in a gameplay design/UX/quest design/writing role or similar
- Previous experience in a manager role
- Other design/writing experience (movies, RPGs, literary)
- Technical scripting ability, or programming experience
- Familiarity with and/or interest in Paradox Interactive’s games and brands
As a person we think you are the type who gains energy from seeing the people around you improve and that you gain satisfaction from helping others overcoming their obstacles. You are not afraid of conflicts and when you see an issue or conflict arising you deal with them. We also think that you are passionate about videogames and want to be part of and contribute to an organization that delivers fun and meaningful experiences to the players. You also thrive in a modern, creative office environment where people around you love their jobs and the games we make.
Scope: Full time and permanent
Reports to: EVP Creative Direction
Location: This position is based in Stockholm.
If you think that this description matches your background, we highly encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will interview candidates continuously for this position. In your application, please show us why your previous experiences and skills would work for this role and why you are interested in working at Paradox. If you don't match all the requirements, please demonstrate how your passion, attitude and interest in Paradox might compensate for this.